Today started early with a trip to the lab to get some blood taken for some tests. As just about everyone who knows me knows, "blood tests" and I DO NOT MIX!! I get a little queezy and fainty just thinking about them. Well, I decided to act my age and deal with it. I'm an adult now (kinda have been for some time) and I need to be brave.
I waltz on in and plop myself down in the room the nurse ushered me into. Easy!!! I can do this in my sleep. This is what happened next:
Nurse: How are you?
Me: Ok. I don't really like doing this.
Nurse: Just relax.
Me: Just let me take my coat off.
Nurse: (Looking at my arm and shaking her head) Oh no.
Me: Do NOT say, "Oh no!"
Nurse: I'm not going to be able to find a vein. We'll have to do this in your hand.
Me: Oh no we won't!!
Nurse: (Placing strap around my wrist) Are you ok?
Me: (As panic sets in) No!! I need a minute. I psyched myself up for the arm, not the hand, so I'm going to need a minute. What about my other arm?
Nurse: (Smiling as she sees my other arm) I see a vein!!
Me: (Annoyed that she didn't think about my other arm, but estatic that she sees a vein) Yep! I have 2 arms.
Nurse: (Places strap on other arm and starts kneading around)
Me: (Getting grossed out) OK, let's just do the hand!!!!
Nurse: Let's just try the other arm, just in case. (Puts strap on my arm and kneads around on that arm).
Me: (Getting grossed out and irritated) Yeah, I think we should just do the hand. I can't handle the waiting for you to find my vein.
Nurse: Ok, the needle I'm going to use is small.
Me: Yeah, you don't need to tell me about the needle.
Nurse: Maybe you should look away while I do this.
Me: There's no way I was planning on looking. (pathetically, tears begin to roll as she hands me tissues)
Nurse: (Starting the "process") Just close your eyes and think of something else. Think of nice music in a place out of this world (her exact words). Just a little longer (moving away to grab another vile while I'm sure the needle was sticking straight up out of my hand and when she gets back knocks into the needle---OWWW!!) Ok, all done!!
Me: Sorry I was such a bad patient.
How sad am I? How pukey and disgusting was that "process"?
Monday, December 17, 2007
I'm So Pathetic
Posted by cwelkley at 9:14 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Oh No! What an awful was to start your day/week! I hate, hate, hate getting my blood taken. I start looking away as soon as the nurse picks up ANYTHING. I don't care if it's a pencil to write down a note, I am not going to look!!
BTW, have never heard of taking blood from hand. Odd.
This entire exchange was hilarious!!
Post a Comment