CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, February 4, 2008

Movie Weekend

This weekend I saw 2 movies, both of which I enjoyed, but in totally different ways. The first was 27 Dresses. I gotta say, I thought I was definitely NOT going to like this movie. Granted there were parts that were a bit predictable, but then there were a few surprising bits as well. I think it also helped to have the characters be so endearing. It was a definite "Like It" movie.

The next movie was VERY different. Last night I went to see There Will Be Blood. I was a little nervous at the beginning because there was really no talking for the first 20 - 30 minutes, but by the end I was amazed, rivited and in awe. Another stellar performance for Daniel Day Lewis!! He's amazing!

I have to tell you that I'm a movie snob. I feel that I pay GOOD money to go and see movies and I should have a GOOD experience. I felt very comfortable and happy at 27 Dresses. At There Will Be Blood, well it was a little like a 3 ring circus.

When I went in to sit down I was excited because there wasn't a lot of people in the theatre. As soon as the previews started I couldn't believe how loud it was (my ears must have adjusted by the end of the movie). Then there was the couple sitting next to me who kept chit-chatting to each other during the first part of the movie. It was pretty much non-stop. I think the guy thought he was whispering when really he was at a regular voice AND he had his cell phone shining in the darkness. So for a while I closed one eye and plugged one ear.

After I felt a slight "kick" on the back of my chair (#1 pet peeve at a movie) and the couple decided to lay on each other and talk, I decided to move to the other side of my friend Josh. It was a risky move because on the other side was a man who clearly came to this movie with walking pneumonia. First he'd cough, then hack, then blow his nose, then sniff. It was like a rotating cycle. I took the risk.

By the end of this movie the talkers were still talking, the hacker was still hacking (Josh and I decided he sounded kind of like Gallum-sp? from the Lord of the Rings) and then the funniest thing happened. People started giving their little "one-liner" comentaries OUT LOUD. The first one was VERY funny and everyone laughed. That's when I think "Chatter" and "Hacker" thought they could easily join in. They were not so funny and Hacker had some colorful language to boot.

Despite the craziness of the people at this movie, the movie itself (it was also quite crazy) was very good and I enjoyed it a lot!!

2 comments:

Mary said...

We have to go to a movie together...you attract the best people ;)

Leaning Shanty Farm said...

I can't believe you kept it together during all of that! I would have punched someone! Most likely the talkers, because the sick guy can't help he's sick - though he really should have the common sense to NOT to go when he's so ill.

Well, now I'm curious about There Will Be Blood. I had no desire to see it..and honestly, I have NO idea what it is even about. And I really dislike Daniel Day Lewis...I have no idea why, but I do. We'll see. Would Drew like it? Maybe I'll take him to see it.