CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, July 17, 2008

"Creek" language: Refreshing or Annoying?

So.....the passed few days I've cracked open my Dawson's Creek DVD's. I revisit tv series every once in a while. It's kind of nice to have something playing in the background once in a while. As I'm watching, I was reminded (as I always am) of how grand the language use is on this series. The use of the English language by these sophomores in high school is astounding!

Think of a sophomore that you might know. What are their words of choice? If they live anywhere near where I do, it will be "like", "hella", "OMG", and 30 more "likes" in one sentence. Now, I've never heard a student from Capeside saying "like" as a filler word. They are more inclined to use these gems (and they do, even in season one): "pedestrian" (as a verb, not a noun), "bastardise", "sophomoric", and my all time favorite that is used in every season........"subtext". Oh Creek Kids!!!!! Ya crack me up!
I also thought this picture was hi-larious!!! The "official" postcard book. I wonder what the "subtext" of that is? I wondering if the postcards have the word "subtext" on them? So, the question is: do I like "like" or "sophomoric" better? I'm thinking the latter, cause I'm sure not watching episodes of "Kids from San Jose" on my tv this week. :)

2 comments:

Carrie said...

OMG!

so funny.

i always thought the creeksiders were way too superior for me...and oy, the ANGST!!

LOL over here...

Leaning Shanty Farm said...

Seriously...I'm with Carrie...the Angst is just TOO MUCH!! And it's only made worse by all the big ole words they use.

And if you think about it...do you really think someone like Pacey would use big words in real life?? NO! People like Joey and Dawson might...but only because they think they're better than everyone else.

Like...OMG...Ya Know?