CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Church: Worst Place To Be On Valentine's Day

Who would have thought??? So, clearly, today is VD. I go to church on Saturday nights. I treat VD like any other day (except for the underlining reminder of what day I know it actually is). As I walk into church the "hug lady" is there (our greeter who hugs instead of shaking hands). I usually try to get passed her when she's hugging someone else, but tonight she's unavoidable. I speed walk by her with a distraught look on my face thinking, "Surely, she'll get the hint." NOPE!! "Hi. Would you like a hug?" I hate saying no to that, but I just can't do it. In my most sickeningly sweet voice, "Oh, no thank you. Not today." :) Big smiles. I can't believe I said, "Not today." Like when someone asks for money outside a grocery store.

Moving on. As we finish up praise and worship time we do the meet and greet (don't love this--I really am a social people person, but don't enjoy the forced, "MEET SOMEONE!"). This girl sitting in the same row approaches me.
Girl: "Hi, my name is......."
Me: "Hi, I'm Chris. Nice to meet you."
Girl: "So are you here alone?"
Me: (First thinking: Did she SERIOUSLY just ask me that??????) Looking down at the chairs around me, "Looks like it."
Girl: Laughing. "Single girls together!!"
Me: Awkward smile. Hoping that she wasn't going to move her stuff and sit next to me. WHEW!! She didn't.

Sermon Topic for the evening: Roles of husbands and wives. And I'm done!!!

4 comments:

Leaning Shanty Farm said...

Okay, the Hug Lady is just TOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe she actually ASKS if you want a hug!!!!!!!! SERIOUSLY???

TOO MUCH!!!

holly said...

I'm right there with ya sister! I have to write a paper this VD weekend about Song of Songs ch5! I was feelin' pretty single this weekend already...then we had a surprise wedding at church this morning. groan!

PS when is Mary ever going to arrange for us to meet?

Carrie said...

you really should have included our text exchange from later in the evening. ha-ha-ha-ha!

Carrie said...

and yes, the hug lady is WAY too much!