I'm pretty secure in who I am, but lately I've had a few "interesting" situations which make me wonder and laugh. They all stem from being a part of the San Jose Symphonic Choir. Allow me to explain:
As I have mentioned before (I think), I sing the tenor part in the choir, because I can sing the notes and because I figured it was a sure-fire way of getting in since they have so few tenors. The director of the group is always saying, the men's part this, the men's part that. Or we'll have a men's rehearsal tonight (even though there are 3 lady tenors). It didn't bother me at first, but it's starting to rub me the wrong way now. Why can't there be fabulous women who are blessed with a lower range? There can be, and there are!!!
At any rate, I ran into a girl in the orchestra who said:
"I know you."
Me: "Really?"
Her: "Yes, you went to Valley Christian High school."
Me: "Yes I did."
Her: "Do you know my name?"
Oh how I hate that guessy-guess question!
I guessed and was wrong and she told me what it was. I remembered her vaguely. Any way, she said that she put two and two together when she saw me singing the tenor part and remembered I had sung the "boys" part in high school. Hmph!!!
Now for my favorite story:
During the night of our second concert (last Saturday), I was coming out of the women's bathroom. As I walked out, another lady walked in and said to me:
"You can't be in here."
Me: "Excuse me?"
Her: "You can't be in here. You're a tenor. Hee Hee!"
Me: (In my straightest, most sarcastic tones) "Oh, I see. So you're saying that I'm part man? You're hilarious."
Later, we were having a warm up with just the ladies (and tenor half men half women--me and the other 2 tenor ladies). As we warmed up we sang higher and higher and higher. The woman warming us up said, "If it gets too high you can drop out." Ummmmm, guess who did NOT drop out? When we finished singing, I said (under my breath): "And THAT'S a TENOR uhhh!!!!"
My voice may be able to hit low notes, but I am all woman!!!! Take THAT bathroom lady!!
Monday, May 18, 2009
Identity Crisis
Posted by cwelkley at 10:00 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Simply? You make me laugh! I thought of another reason to sing tenor. You get to hang out with the boys!
Some people just are NOT funny... example, the bathroom lady. Some people ARE funny... example Chris Welkley. You make me smile and laugh my friend!
The Welkinator is all woman..and I agree with both Holly and Megan, you are Hi--(wait for it)--larious, and you totally should enjoy hangin' with the boys!
Post a Comment