CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Memories Of A Hero

I meant to post this right after my "Villain" post, but time got away. My wonderful Grandpa, Stanley (Spike) Welkley passed away on Saturday, February 13th, 2010. He was so dear. He will forever be loved and missed. Here are some memories and pictures:

1. When I was young and went to visit my grandparents I always remember Grandpa having drawers in his basement filled with golf balls and tees. I was allowed to pick one of each and I chose a neon pink ball and gold tee.

2. Grandpa LOVED sweets!!!

3. Grandpa saved napkins from everywhere. The original recyler.

4. My favorite funny memory of visiting was: One day Grandma said, "Spike, hand me my glasses." He picked up her glasses and shuffled back as slow as anyone has ever shuffled in their entire life to bring them to her. She was not amused, but he had a giant smile on his face. :)

5. When Grandpa stayed with us for a while, he helped me paint my bedroom. That was fun! I was a little worried because he was doing the top of the walls with a roller and kept making spots of paint on the ceiling.

6. I believe it was the same time he was staying with us that he said of Rosie O'Donnell, "She reminds me of you. She's very loud." Hmmmph! :)

7. Grandpa came down to Mexico with my G-ma (mom's mom), mom and dad to pick me up when I decided it was time for me to leave. Let's just say that things were pretty bad there (facility's and how we were all treated), but Grandpa took it like a trooper.

8. The last time I was able to spend with him, before he completely lost his memory, we had a rousing game of shuffle board. That is surprisingly a very fun game.

9. One of the last funny/sad memories I have, is when Grandpa said to me:
"I had a fall the other day."
Me: "Oh no, what happened?"
Him: "Well, I was in the barn with my dad and I fell out of the loft."
Me: "Hmmmm, how old were you when this happened?"
Him: "14"

10. Grandpa loved the Lord very much. I will always remember his little material flower sticker that he wore to church on his suit. I think they were given to visitors.


I love you Grandpa! See you and Grandma someday. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so wonderful Chris...Thanks for sharing those memories of yours. I love the pictures too :)

cousin

holly said...

oh you made me cry. what a shock!?! I think my grandpa had those same plaid polyester pants. looking forward to meeting grandpa spike when I can hang out with mine again.